With so many broken marriages, we must know and apply Bible
principles for a happy marriage in Ephesians 5:21-33. These principles
can only be applied by Spirit-filled Christians because marriage is a spiritual
institution. What are these principles?
1. SUBMIT YOURSELVES ONE TO ANOTHER 5:22
Both husband and wife must submit to meet each other's needs
above their own. Each has special needs. Only as we fulfil each other's needs
can peace and happiness prevail.
2. EACH SUBMIT TO GOD. 5:22 "in the fear of God."
Both marriage partners must live by God's ways in the Bible. If
one or both partners disobey Bible principles, problems are certain, which lead
to frustration and possible divorce.
3. WIVES SUBMIT TO YOUR HUSBANDS as you submit to God. 5:22
I Peter 3:1-6 Don't shatter your husband's ego or self respect,
but hold him in high regard, helping him to achieve his goals as a help-meet.
Genesis 2:18. God can change his heart if he is wrong. Proverbs 21:1. Wives
submit to your own husband's in everything (Ephesians
4. UNDERSTAND that the earthly
marriage of a wife submitting to her husband is a PICTURE of the Heavenly
Marriage of the Church submitting to Christ as her
Head. Ephesians 5:23. Aim to have a marriage as good as Christ and the
5. BOTH MUST BE SAVED. They must have received Christ as their Saviour. Ephesians 5:23.
"He is the Saviour of the body."
6. Wives must have a MEEK and
QUIET SPIRIT which is in the sight of God of great price. I Peter
7. Husbands DWELL WITH YOUR
WIVES according to KNOWLEDGE, giving honour unto the wife, as unto
the weaker vessel. I Peter 3:7 Husband, realise that your wife is more
vulnerable emotionally. Protect her from emotional stress and
8. PRAY TOGETHER. "That your prayers
be not hindered." I Peter 3:7.
9. BE OF ONE MIND, compassionate,
loving, be pitiful, BE COURTEOUS. Don't render evil for evil, but bless
when your spouse hurts you. I Peter 3:8, 9
10. HUSBANDS LOVE YOUR WIVES. How much? Ephesians 5:25.
As Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for it. How much did Christ love the Church?
Christ died for the Church. Husband's should be willing
to die for their wife, to meet her needs, even to live for her daily.
11. HUSBANDS SEEK TO
a) Keep your wife holy, sanctify her
b) Keep her spiritually clean by the Word of God, as you read it together
c) Make you and your wife without blemish, which means to be
perfect in character. Ephesians 5:27.
12. HUSBANDS love your wives as you
love and look after your own body. 5:28 If you love your wife and treat
her right, she will love you and treat you right, and you will feel better. If
you hurt and criticise your wife, she will hurt you. Therefore if you love your
wife, you are loving yourself.
13. HUSBANDS NOURISH AND CHERISH your wife and meet her needs as much as Christ meets the Church's needs. Ephesians 5:29.
Nourish 1625 - to rear up to maturity
Cherish 2282 - to
warm, to brood, to foster.
14. WE MUST WORK TOGETHER as bones in a body or as a team.
"For we are members of his body, of his flesh, of his bones." Ephesians 5:30.
15. LEAVE YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER when you get married.
Don't let parents-in-law interfere. Don't live with your parents.
You are no longer under their authority. Ephesians
16. Husbands CLEAVE to your wife as one flesh. Ephesians 5:33.
Achieve oneness spiritually, mentally, emotionally and
17. Wife, REVERENCE your husband.
Husband, LOVE your wife as yourself.. Ephesians
Pr. Keith Piper